ABOUT THE ARTIST
I am a self taught, natural light photographer, with sixteen years of shooting experience under my belt. Back in the day, I learned to shoot with film, developed it and printed my own photos in my darkroom. I've since moved to digital, but film holds a very dear spot in my heart that I can't seem to shake. I was supposed to be a horticulturalist and landscape architect...at least that's what my degree's tell me. I followed that path for some time, along with a few other paths, but photography won my heart. Plants and beautiful mother nature is, and will always be, a great inspiration to me. If at all possible, I prefer to shoot outdoors and somehow incorporate nature into the scene. Shooting commissioned portraits is only half of my photography business, if you'd like to see what else I do, visit my FINE ART SITE.
I'm originally from the Watson, Illinois area, but the majority of my adult life I spent living in the Cayman Islands and only moved back home with my husband and son a few short years ago. I grew up on a small working farm, with acres and acres of natural areas at my disposal. It gave me a great appreciation for the world around me. I roamed wherever I pleased, built forts in the woods, picked wildflowers in the pasture and caught craw-daddies in the crick. My son is taking over the jobs of fort building and craw-daddy hunting, but I'll never give up the picking of wildflowers.
(My name is pronounced Tie-shuh, just in case you were wondering.)
My latest and greatest interview. Pretty proud of this one! Click Below...
There are a number of great photographers out there, so I realize it's hard to choose the perfect photographer for you and your family. Maybe this list will help you decide if I'm the right one for you.
- I believe you're beautiful just the way you are. Do you feel most comfortable in ripped up jeans and a concert tee? Then I implore you to wear that to be photographed. Wear whatever makes you feel like....you, whether it's jeans, a dress, a suit, lederhosen or a tutu. Lets get some images of the real you.
- If you have a conceptualized shoot dancing around in your head you'd love to have that fits my style of photography, please, PLEASE don't be shy about it. Let's discuss and see if it's doable! I'm always up for different, creative endeavors.
- Nature is not only beautiful, but it does a body (and mind) good. Lets get outside and shoot if at all possible.
- Light. Glorious, glorious light. It's the number one most important thing in photography, besides yourself of course! Nothing makes a more radiant photograph than having beautiful light. The best time for great light is early morning (a cooler light) and the time before sunset (a warmer light.) I set up my shoots around these two times.
- Take a nice long look through my portfolio before deciding if I'm the one for you. The type of images you'll see is how I shoot. If you want dramatic studio lighting or themed shoots, I may not be the right choice. What I will give you however, are soulful, organic, genuine images, and they will be beautiful. I promise you.
- I won't elaborately photoshop you. I'm sorry, but as I said above, I think you look great just the way you are. Perfection is not achieved through photoshop. You're perfect just the way you are. Having said that, I'm now going to contradict myself just a bit. I will do very light editing. If it's something that will be gone in a week or two, like a blemish or a skinned forehead, I don't mind fixing that.
- I think a photo session should be fun and relaxing. No need for it to stress you out at all. I understand it's not ideal and very disconcerting to have a camera in your face, but I promise you, the images will turn out. I genuinely feel your pain. It's hard to let someone in your personal space. Kids not behaving? I have one too. I know how it goes. Don't let it get to you.
- I love the tangible. There's nothing better than holding, seeing, heck, even smelling a beautiful product. I carry lots of those kinds of things. Lets get together and talk about your needs and wants and how I can help you. Looking for a beautiful coffee table book? I got it. Amazing custom framed prints? I got those too. The prints are on gorgeous archival, museum quality paper.
- I'm a very laid back kind of person, so naturally the session will be that way as well. We'll take it moment by moment and go with the flow. It will never be rushed.
- I use all profession grade equipment, Nikon to be exact. I'm fully insured and registered with the state of Illinois.
Commercial and Editorial Assignments
Please email me for current rates.
Clients....Kaeding Management, Holiday Inn Express, Radisson, Crown Plaza, Joe Sipper's, Fresh Digs, Illinois Farmer's Union, Effingham Public Library, Hastings Mutual Insurance, DC Vote, The Wellness Loft, Orion Magazine, Fresh Pressed Prints, The Odd Bin, Go RVing, Feast Magazine
Commissioned Portrait Session Fee
Weekday Rate $250
Weekend Rate $350
[Due at time of booking to reserve your date]
Includes: Pre-consultation if requested, the session itself, time and talent of Tytia, artistic editing of each individual file, online viewing gallery hosting your approximately 50 images, and in-person sales session if requested.
***Digital files, prints, products and collections are NOT included in the session fee***
***If you prepay at time of booking for Collection 1-4, you may waive your session fee. Collection 5 is not eligible.***
1. $3000 Entire Collection of digital images, plus Coffee Table book, plus a 20x30 and a 16x24 Fine Art Print with images of your choice, plus Portfolio box with 18 matted archival prints of your choice. [Savings of $550]
2. $2000 Entire Collection of digital images plus Coffee Table Book (30 page spread,) plus two 20x30 Fine Art Prints with images of your choice. [Savings of $350]
3. $1400 Entire Collection of digital images plus an 8x12 Fine Art Print with image of your choice, plus Coffee Table Book (30 page spread,) OR 20x30 Fine Art Print with image of your choice. [Savings of $225]
4. $1000 Entire Collection of fully edited, high resolution digital files (approximately 50 images)
5. $700 10 fully edited digital files.
***Don't want digital images and prefer products only? Let me know and we'll work out a package for you.
A LA CARTE PRODUCTS
I've spent countless hours researching the best products to offer you. Not only do I look for fine quality craftsmanship, I look for environmentally conscience companies. Whenever possible, I use products that treat the environment kindly.
Receive a 30% discount on all a la carte products with purchase of any collection.
Prints are available starting at $40. Museum Quality Prints, Framing, Canvas, Books and Folio Boxes are also available for purchase. Let me know if you'd like more detailed pricing. I would love to send you some info.
BEFORE THE SESSION
Once you decide to book a session with me, we'll figure out a date that works best. I'll then send you a digital online contract to sign and a payment request. After both are completed, your session will be booked and your date will be set.
Whether it be wall art, loose prints, coffee table books, or digital files, the goal of our time together is to make beautiful images for you and your family to enjoy. We'll meet for coffee or discuss over the phone what your goals are for your session. Once we find our vision, the session will develop from there.
THE DAY OF
No two sessions are ever alike. Each and every one is organic and unfolds as we go along. Yours will be no different. Everyone is different and unique, thus, each session will be as well. I have a very relaxed style of shooting and I promise I'll make it as painless as possible. It's not an easy thing to be photographed and I understand that. After meeting at our chosen location, we'll spend about an hour together making beautiful photographs. I say we, because it's a joint endeavor. I can't do it without you.
This is where it gets really fun. You'll soon be seeing your images and deciding on the many things you can do with them. Depending on how busy I am at the time, you'll receive your gallery of images between 1 and 3 weeks. I work hard to get my clients their images as quick as possible but if I have to choose between quick and quality....I'll choose quality every time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are beautifully edited images. I'll provide you with a gorgeous digital gallery of all the edited images to choose from. (You can see a sample gallery HERE) This is your time to peruse your images at your leisure and decide which may possibly be displayed on the walls of your home, printed and tucked into beautiful heirloom boxes or printed within the pages of a book. If you decide you'd love to have some of the heirloom products I offer, we'll set up a time to get together and have an ordering session. All products take varying amounts of time after ordering, but know, I will get them to you as quick as I can.
Just a few of the photography and family and child portrait blogs I've been featured on in the past couple years: Let the Kids, Kids Were Here, Little Bellows, Fantastically Flawed, FeatureShoot, The Organic PhotograpHERs, Love Photographs Beautifully, My Four Hens Photography, FStoppers, and Clickin Moms.
Bachelor of Science, Horticulture, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois (1992)
Bachelor of Arts, Landscape Architecture, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (1999)
2016 Nomination, LEAD Awards 2016, Documentary Photography of the Year, Lead Academy, Germany
2016 BLACK & WHITE Magazine Portfolio Spotlight Winner
2016 Sustainable Arts Foundation, Spring 2016 Finalist
2016 Honorable Mention, Black and White, The Center for Fine Art Photography
2015 Shortlisted for Black and White Photographer of the Year, BPOTY
2015 Top 200, Critical Mass
2015 Best in Show, Shrode Photography Competition, Cedarhurst Art Center, Mt Vernon, Illinois
2015 100 Photographers to Watch in 2015, Clickin Moms
2014 2014 FLAKPhoto, Books of the Year 2014
2013 Images of Illinois (Best in Show and 2nd in Places), Prairie Art Alliance, Springfield, Illinois
2016 Silvershotz, August
2016 CNN Photo, April
2016 Digital Photo Magazine, April
2016 BARBARA, April, 10 page spread
2016 Shots, Issue #131, Spring
2016 The Curated Fridge, March/April, Curator: Karen Haas
2016 Humble Arts Foundation, February, Winter, Curators: Jon Feinstein & Andy Adams
2016 Der Greif Magazine, Guest Room, Curator: Andy Adams
2016 Lensculture, February, Interview
2016 Adore Noir, February
2016 Lenscratch, February
2016 Black + White Magazine (UK), Cover, January
2015 Float Magazine, Sept
2015 Streit House Space, Only Human, Sept-Oct
2015 The Sun, Cover and 10 page spread, September 2015
2015 The Long Way Home, Volume 1
2015 Shots, Issue #129, Autumn
2015 Fraction Magazine, 7th Anniversary Edition. Issue 74, May
2015 Feature Shoot, Nostalgia-Inducing Photos, April 30
2015 Orion Magazine, May/June Issue
2015 Shots, Issue #127, Spring
2015 Ticka Arts, March
2015 F-Stop Magazine, Issue #69, March
2015 Phosmag, February
2014 2014 FLAKPhoto, Books of the Year 2014
2014 National Geographic, On Photographing Your Child, October 20
2014 Muybridge's Horse, October 9
2014 Feature Shoot, October 3
2014 Lenscratch, October 1
2014 Dodho Magazine, September
2014 Shots, Issue #125, Autumn
2014 National Geographic, How Close Can You Get, July
2014 National Geographic, The Un-Selfie: Taking Back The Self-Portrait, June
2014 Shots, Issue #124, Summer
2014 F-Stop Magazine, Issue #65, July, Featured Artist + Interview
2014 Blur Magazine, Issue #37, June/July
2014 National Geographic, Self-Portrait Story, May
2014 F-Stoppers, April
2014 Artist a Day, March 25
2014 The Swap, March
2014 Vieworld Photo Magazine #7, January
2013 F-Stop Magazine Issue #62, December
2013 Rfotofolio, November
2013 Tonelit, Issue #5, November
2013 Shots Magazine, Issue #121, Autumn
2013 Shots Magazine, Issue #120, Summer
2013 Lenscratch, February
2012 F-Stop Magazine, Issue #52, April
2016 Space, Griffin Musuem, Winchester, MA, Juror: Paula Tognarelli
2016 Making Fact & Fiction, UTSA Gallery, University of Texas, Curator: Scott Sherer and Libby Rowe
2016 22nd Juried Exhibition, Griffin Museum, Winchester, MA, Juror: Elizabeth Avedon
2016 Black & White, The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, Colorado, Juror: Rodney Smith
2016 Affinity, Amblewood Gallery, Chattahoochee Hills, Georgia, Curator: S. Gayle Stevens
2016 Context 2016, Filter Space, Chicago, Illinois, Curator: Jennifer Murray
2016 Ticka Arts 3rd Exhibition, Gray Matters, Dallas, Texas, Curator: Sonserre Gibson
2016 Time In:Refocusing on Motherhood, Elder Gallery, Lincoln, Nebraska, Curator: Larry Gawel
2015 28th Annual Member's Only Show, Texas Photographic Society, Juror: Keith Carter
2015 Shrode Photograph Exhibition, Cedarhurst Center for the Arts, Juror: David R. Hanlon
2015 Field Study, David Weinberg Gallery, Chicago, Illinois, Juror: Katherine Ware and Meg T. Noe
2014 Critters, A Smith Gallery, Johnson City, Texas, Juror: Anne Berry
2014 Black and White, Photoplace Gallery, Middlebury, Vermont, Juror: Karen Haas
2013 Backyard, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, Santa Fe, New Mexico
2013 PhotoNOLA Finale Slideshow, New Orleans, Louisiana
2013 Rural Impressions, New York Center for Photographic Art, New York, New York, Juror: Aline Smithson
2013 July (2 selected), A Smith Gallery, Johnson City, Texas, Juror: Christy Karpinski
2013 We Are Family (3 selected), Darkroom Gallery, Essex Junction, Vermont, Juror: Chris Verene
2013 Open Water, Kiernan Gallery, Lexington, Virginia, Juror: Jennifer Schwartz
2013 The Magic of Light, Photoplace Gallery, Middlebury, Vermont, Juror: Aline Smithson
2013 The Family, Detroit Center for Contemporary Photography, Detroit, Michigan, Juror: Aline Smithson
2012 The Unreal, The Kiernan Gallery, Lexington, Virginia, Juror: Ken Rosenthal
2012 Alternate Realities, Photoplace Gallery, Middlebury, Vermont, Juror: Laura Moya
2012 Secrets and Mysteries (2 selected), Darkroom Gallery, Essex Junction, Vermont, Juror: Catherine Edelman
2012 Spontaneous (3 selected), Darkroom Gallery, Essex Junction, Vermont, Juror: Nikos Economopoulos
2005 Emergence, National Gallery, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
2004 Visions Caribbean, Dominican RepublicBodytalk, National Gallery,Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
2003 Forces of Nature, National Gallery, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
2016 (Upcoming) The University of St. Francis Art Gallery, Oct-Dec
2016 Effingham Public Library, Dec 14 - Jan 21, Effingham, Illinois
2015 Kirkwood Community College, Iowa, Nov. 9- Dec 11 [upcoming}
2015 Joe Sippers, Effingham, Illinois
2011 Joe Sippers, Effingham, Illinois
The Sixth Sense, Collaborative project with Kristianne Koch Riddle
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
Society for Photographic Education
Griffin Museum of Photography
Texas Photographic Society
Houston Center for Photography
Center for Fine Art Photography
OTHER NOTABLE PERSONAL (NOT PHOTOGRAPHY RELATED) ACCOMPLISHMENTS
2012 Half Marathon, Land Between the Lakes Trail Run, Grand Rivers, Kentucky
2009 Escaped a Burning Apartment Building and Saved my Family by Tying Bedsheets Together. Yes, it actually works!
2008 Silver Flora Medal, The Heritage Garden, Chelsea Flower Show, Chelsea, London
2007 Gave birth to a healthy baby boy, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (by far my greatest accomplishment to date)